Telenet Fidea Stars Wellens and Peeters Confirm for the US Gran Prix of Cyclocross Planet Bike Cup
June 8, 2011 (Louisville, KY): Organizers of the US Gran Prix of Cyclocross announced today that Telenet Fidea superstars Bart Wellens and Rob Peeters will race the Planet Bike Cup in Sun Prairie, WI on September 24th and 25th.
Wellens, a two-time World Champion and two-time Belgian National Champion and Peeters, winner in Zonnebeke in 2010/2011, are traveling to the US to kick off their 2011/2012 campaigns and to do a reconnaissance trip to Louisville, KY in advance of the 2013 UCI Elite World Cyclocross Championships.
USGP founder Bruce Fina said, “For me, both personally and from a sporting perspective, it’s very exciting to see Bart racing in the US again. The last time he was here he was the reigning U23 World Champion and he came to race for our team, CCB International, in Massachusetts. He came for about 6 weeks as part of an exchange program that later saw Tim Johnson spending the winter with him in Belgium. I am sure he will enjoy his time here again this season.”
Fina continued, “The Planet Bike Cup has featured some top European talent in the past - Erwin Vervecken, Francis Mouray, Tim Van Nuffel, Christian Huele, Rene Birkenfeld - have all raced here in pursuit of some early season form and points. We have long lobbied for these teams to come and take advantage of the great racing on offer in the US in the early season. We are seeing more and interest in that every year. Surely the 2013 World Championships in Louisville have something to do with that - and we are excited to have the opportunity to show this Belgian delegation around Louisville as part of their time in the US this year.”
About the Athletes:
- Pro-cyclist since 2000Started his pro-career with the SpaarSelect-team. This team later became the Fidea Team, now the Telenet Fidea Cycling Team
- 2 time UCI Elite Cyclocross World Champion
- 2 times Belgian Elite Cyclocross National Champion
- Starred in his own docu-soap on Belgian television in 2004 and 2005. The soap was very important for the popularity of cyclocross in Belgium.
- Married and has a 2-year-old daughter
- Started as a BMX racer in the Belgian youth series winning several titles before transitioning to cyclocross at age 19.
- Began his pro-career at Landbouwkrediet-Tönissteiner, but came to Telenet Fidea on January 1st of 2010.
- Won Zonnebeke in 2010-2011
- Became father of his first son last week (May 30)
About the US Gran Prix of Cyclocross:
The USGP is the nation's premiere cyclocross series and has, since 2004, featured the deepest, strongest and fastest professional fields racing on this side of the Atlantic. The Series is comprised of: The Planet Bike Cup, September 24th and 25th in Sun Prairie, WI; The New Belgium Cup on Oct 8th and 9th in Fort Collins, CO; The Derby City Cup, November 12th and 13th in Louisville, KY; and the STANLEY Portland Cup, December 10th and 11th in Portland, OR.
Nothing is more fun than Cyclocross and now you can own the Series Poster for the Trek U.S. Gran Prix of Cyclocross. The poster was designed by Michael Valenti and is available in two sizes 24″x36″ and 18″x24″. These are high quality Giclée prints using archival inks on watercolor paper, ready for framing.
CLick on the image below to buy yours now