A Cyclocross racing is a form of an off-road bicycle race that usually takes place in winters and fall, involves multiple 1.5 to 2 miles of short lapses. This is an amazing race to watch as it features many obstacles like wooden trails, pavement, steep hills, grass and others.
It was first introduced in 1900 in Europe for the purpose that road racers should remain fit, and then gradually it grew as a professional sport where racers became cyclocross professionals.It’s a very entertaining one hour race for us, but it’s really very hard for the racers as it requires a lot of strength, endurance, aerobic fitness, especially in winters.
Beginners guide to cyclocross racing
- The cyclocross bike is different as these are modified so that they can be you can ride smoothly over mud. It has very light weight tyres having rolling resistance as nothing, re-routed cables that prevent them from mud, pedals without clips that are work easily during mud clogging and high disc brakes.
- This race involves the entire off-road stages, featuring mud, sand, grass, dirt, gravel and tarmac.
- For the beginners, it would be comfortable and convenient to join a club before starting the race as clubs provide you training sessions. This helps you to develop new skills that are required for the cyclocross racing.
- For this, you need a cyclocross bike or you can also go for the mountain bike. When you buy a bike, it should be versatile enough to have a bottle cage mounts and mudguard mounts.
Basic skills required for cyclocross racing
You need to develop the right strategy for the race as this race is full of obstacles.Three basic skills are:
- Dismount: For the dismount, your hands should be on the top of the handlebars and on the brake if needed, now while rolling, unclipped your right foot behind your left one, balance yourself and stand on the left pedal. Now run to cross the barrier. This is quite difficult,but by practicing you will slowly develop this skill. Also, be careful of injuries as it’s normal to have it during practice sessions.
- Carry your bike: After dismounting, immediately carry your bike in a suitcase style or in a shouldering style. In the suitcase style, pick your cycle like a suitcase, but straight above and higher so as to easily cross the barrier.
In the shouldering style, take the bike on your shoulders;this is done during the long run.For this, you have to use your right hand from the tube that is top of the bike to the middle one to put it on a shoulder.After crossing the barrier, put it down and maintainbalance.
- Remounting:After crossing the barrier, it’s time forthe remount, means back on your bike without giving a halt.During this, control the balance of your bike and don’t try to jump on the bike as it suddenly happens but it can give an injury.
Prepare yourself thoroughly before the race, the bike, tires, tools, shoes, helmet, kit, water bottle and recovery energy drinks, these all should be ready.The best part of this cyclocross race is that it is for everyone, from kids to teenagers, men to women, seniors to veterans.So step ahead and enjoy this amazing fitness race.
Hi there! Sports are a real fun especially when they are taken to championship level and this Cyclo-Cross competition is one of them. As evident from the name it is a cycling competition; not merely a simple cycling competition but on mountainous